Top 10 of 2012: Day Two


This year, Coranne and I are happy to take part in the Top 10 of 2012 meme.  There have been a ton of amazing books that have come out this year, or which we've read this year, and so we're spreading our top picks out with a new theme every day. 

Today, we're each sharing the best book covers from 2012!  Hold on to your seats, these are some pretty awesome covers,  Be sure to share your favorites in the comments, too.

Sarah's Picks:


By Rachel Hartman
Published on July 10, 2012
Published by Random House Books for Young Readers
A few of my picks, this one included, are sort of cheating because I haven't read them yet, but I'm sure I'll be forgiven in the name of pretty book covers, and they're on my to-read lists, anyway. Maybe I'll get to them in 2013! The line art on this one is exquisite -- so very detailed, and evocative of the fantasy world that the story inhabits. I'm a sucker for a well-drawn cover, and this is one of them.

By Dave Eggers
Published on June 19, 2012
Published by McSweeney's
This cover doesn't look like much as a picture - I mean, what, a dull brown cover with some patterns?  It's not super exciting to look at right now. How original is that? Well, in person, however, this book's cover is amazing. It looks and feels like an antique. The design goes the whole way around, rather than just being the front cover. I bought this book solely because I saw it lurking on a shelf at my local bookstore and I knew I needed to have it. Like, just go to a store and find it. Touch it. It's so very different from anything else that I've ever seen.

By Laura Bickle
Published on September 25, 2012
Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
See our review here!
After reading this book, I felt like it captured Katie's spirit. The girl on the cover looks strong, determined. She doesn't look fragile or lost. The cover art is pretty similar to the way I imagined Katie, and I'm glad they didn't try to make her anything other than what she is - just a regular Amish girl. The cover is moody and a bit creepy, with the cloudy dark along the edges, enough to give you a hint that this story isn't going to be a lighthearted adventure.

By Michelle Hodkin
Published on October 23, 2012
Published by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
See our review here!
If you read my review, you know I'm not the biggest fan of this series - I am ambivalent about the books but keep reading them anyway. One thing I know for sure, though, is that the covers are awesome (even if they have very little to do with the actual story, without making up a bunch of symbolism which may or may not be intentional). The typeface and spacing of the words, the very eerie picture, they combine to make something pretty different from the standard moody girl in a dress thing that you usually see on YA book covers.


By Sarah Rees Brennan
Published on September 11, 2012
Published by Random House Books for Young Readers
See our review here!
THIS BOOK. I was drawn in to this one by both the large amount of buzz it was getting, and by the interesting cover. It's very non-traditional but fits the gothic attitude of the book. I hope the rest of the books in the series are done in this same style, and I can't wait to see what they look like!





Coranne's Picks:



By Elizabeth Fama
Published on September 2012
Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) 

See our review here!
Isn't this a stunning cover? To be honest, this cover is not the original. The original cover has a mermaid lounging and looking very cosmopolitan. This cover is just so much more. It has the maturity of an adult novel and really stands out next to all of the other YA books. It really looks like nothing else out there. It is mysterious and beautiful and the finish on the book is stunning. It matches the book quite well.



By Jessica Spotswood
Published on February 2012
Published by Putnam Juvenile

See our review here
To be honest, I was not interested in this book at all. I read the synopsis and it just didn't seem like something I would really get into.... and then the cover was revealed. I don't know why, but it is a cover that I automatically think of when someone asks me "what is one of your favorite covers?" I didn't know if I would like the story, but I knew I had to get my hands on this cover and see it in real life. Luckily, the story was as beautiful as the cover. In this case, picking a book solely for the cover was a smart choice.


By Meg Cabot
Published on May 2012
Published by Scholastic

See our review here
Just looking at this cover it isn't incredibly impressive. When you actually HOLD this book though- man it blew me away. Honestly, I could care less about the cover models- they hold no interest to me. It is the color and sparkle and even sheen of this cover that is absolutely gorgeous. I want a shirt in this color, I want to wallpaper my house in this color. It is just... gorgeous!



By Veronica Rossi
Published on May 2012
Published by Harper Teen

See our review here
I love this cover- I wish I could use it as a poster in my house. I have a thing for trees (which you would notice if you came to my house). I love that the cover is so simple and beautiful, and yet the artwork is so complex. I also love that there are no people on the cover, so I can decide for myself what I want the characters to look like.




By Eve Marie Mont
Published on March 2012
Published by Kensington
This is such a pretty cover. I love the model and the clothing they have her in. I love that it actually FITS the time period she was supposed to be in- instead of some flowy dress that shows way too much skin for the actual character. I have seen the covers for the next two books in the series and I CAN'T WAIT!




Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time