Insurgent

Insurgent
Veronica Roth
Published by Harper Teen
Published on May 1, 2012
Source: Bought

Summary taken from Goodreads:

One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.


Divergent was an incredibly incredibly hard book to live up to.  Seriously. Divergent was my gateway book- it is the reason that I started blogging because I needed to tell EVERYONE about it.  I have read it numerous times and I love it more every time I read it.  I actually bought Insurgent when it came out, but I was afraid to read it.  I knew it had gotten rave reviews all over the web, but I was afraid that it wouldn't live up to the hype.  Most of all I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the hype in my head.

First of all, I absolutely ADORE this cover.  if I could get a poster of that tree emblem, I would totally hang it on my wall- it is beautiful. I love the colors, and I think it fits so well with Divergent.  They really are beautiful covers without looking girly.

Insurgent was what I expected, but also was not at all what I expected.  First of all, you can't go into Insurgent expecting to read Divergent all over again- it won't happen. A war has begun and this book is all about that war.  There are gruesome scenes and plenty of action.  Death is harsh and cold and all throughout Insurgent- we are reminded constantly how much a group in war loses.

Was Insurgent as exciting to me as Divergent? No.  But did I enjoy Insurgent? Absolutely.  Insurgent isn't a rewriting of Divergent- it is a continuation.  Four is a more complex character, and isn't the smoldering mysterious hero who has no flaws.  Tris is a hot hot mess through most of this book, but she is realizing things about herself and the people around her that are confusing and unexpected.   I absolutely recommend Insurgent (but be sure not to throw something when there is a gigantic cliffhanger at the end of Insurgent.)  



Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time