Underworld

Underworld
By Meg Cabot
Published by Scholastic
Published on May 8 2012







Summary taken from Goodreads:

Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn’t dead.

Not this time.

But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.

Her captor, John Hayden, claims it’s for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they’ve come back as Furies, intent on vengeance…on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.

But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there…and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.

And unless Pierce is careful, this time there’ll be no escape.



The Cover: Oh man this cover.  I could go on about it for hours.  The girl- very pretty.  The vines- lovely.  But the color of this cover was just perfect.  It was metallic and navy and royal blue and just beautiful.  I want to buy hundreds of this book, just so I can rip the covers off and use them as wallpaper.  This may be the most beautiful background for a cover I have ever seen- and I have seen a LOT of beautiful covers.  Even if you aren't interested in this book- go find it and LOOK at it.  Just beautiful.


The Characters: A majority of the story is focused on Pierce and John Hayden.  A few moments are given to side characters, but most of the story focuses on the development of the relationship between these two main characters.  I would have liked to have gotten to know side characters more, but I did enjoy getting to know the two main characters more.


The Story:  I enjoyed this story and thought it was a good continuation to the series.  I was disappointed with how short this book felt.  There really isn't a great deal of action in the book until the very end.  There are a few small fights, but a majority of this book is talking.  It did feel slow at times and sometimes did fall into the trappings of a second book.  I do think the next book will have more action, based on how the story ended.  However, I did enjoy this story.  I love Pierce and Haydens story and the feeling of confusion that I still have in this book.  The author is taking her time revealing bits and pieces of the characters back story.  I felt satisfied with this story and am eager for the next in the series!




 

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time