Jaime's (Sorry...) DNF Review ~ Rise (The Order of the Krigers #1) by Jennifer Anne Davis

By Jennifer Anne Davis
Published on May 17, 2016
Published by: Month9Books
Source: Month9Books
The people of Nelebek live in fear of persecution from the evil Morlet, who reigns with a dark and destructive magic. The kingdom’s only hope lies with the Order of the Krigers—twelve warriors with mysterious powers linked to magical weapons. 

For over a century, Morlet has been annihilating the Order, picking them off one by one. Eleven Krigers have been hunted down, tortured, and imprisoned in his dungeon. Now, only one remains.

Sixteen-year-old Kaia survives by keeping her head down and minding her own business. But when she finds herself in the middle of a public execution where the mysterious Morlet is in attendance, an odd compulsion she can’t resist comes over her. 

Kaia looks into Morlet’s eyes.

Soon, an ancient power awakens and Kaia can no more blend into the scenery. Will she heed the call of the Krigers or will Morlet’s dark magic destroy the last of the Order?

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N 


Rise...

I was super excited when I got the opportunity to read and review Rise. Month9Books books are usually a hit with me, and this one sounded right up my alley. Twelve warriors, always male, created to defeat a horrible king, taken and imprisoned. Now a new Kriger is here; A female, the first in a long line of males. I mean, YES please!

Unfortunately, it just didn't work for me. The biggest issue that I had was the writing. It felt very stilted, jumpy. It didn't flow very well, even during the conversations. The characters were written in the same way. There was hardly any development at all. They were very much cardboard characters. The worst part is, I love the idea behind the book. I think it could have been an incredible, action-packed adventure ride. A couple of more eyes on the story, editing and filling in, and Voila! I absolutely think that Jennifer Anne Davis has what it takes. The backbone is there, I just needed some meat!

I hate writing DNF reviews. It breaks my heart, because I genuinely want to love every book that I read. I do my best to love them. There were just too many obstacles for me with this one. I appreciate the chance to read and review Rise, and to be a part of the tour. And please take this review with a grain of salt... if you are interested, go! Read it! Don't let me stop you from reading a book that could end up at the top of your Fave's List!


Jaime Lynn

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time