Jaime Reviews ~ Forget Tomorrow by Pintip Dunn

By Pintip Dunn
Published on November 3, 2015
Published by Entangled Teen
Source: Around the World ARC Tours
Imagine a world where your destiny has already been decided...by your future self.

It's Callie’s seventeenth birthday and, like everyone else, she's eagerly awaiting her vision―a memory sent back in time to sculpt each citizen into the person they're meant to be. A world-class swimmer. A renowned scientist.

Or in Callie's case, a criminal.

In her vision, she sees herself murdering her gifted younger sister. Before she can process what it means, Callie is arrested and placed in Limbo―a hellish prison for those destined to break the law. With the help of her childhood crush, Logan, a boy she hasn’t spoken to in five years, she escapes.

But on the run from her future, as well as the government, Callie sets in motion a chain of events that she hopes will change her fate. If not, she must figure out how to protect her sister from the biggest threat of all—Callie, herself.



And the verdict is....


  This one is going to be a short and sweet one. I was excited going into this one, but in the end it just didn't work for me. The premise is one that always interests me, and this was no exception. And while it was a good book, it wasn't great. In the end, I think it may come down to a "it's not you, it's me" situation.

 Callie is officially seventeen, and it is her day to go receive her memory of the future. This memory determines the course the rest of her life will take, and Callie is expecting to be a master chef. Unfortunately, her memory shows her something she never could have imagined. Now she is left questioning whether she is truly capable of murdering the one person she loves above any other, and what her future motivations could possibly be. Callie ends up imprisoned with the other future criminals, until a boy from her past, Logan, rescues her and takes her out of the city, into the woods, where a group of refugees live freely, and happily. As Callie gets comfortable with her new reality, and starts getting to know Logan again, she feels like she may have found her home. Until one day, she receives a memory that shatters any hope of a peaceful future and leads her right back onto the path she was hoping to avoid at all costs.

 The plot of the story is a good one, the base of the story is good. I feel like there was just a bit of a disconnect for me. Callie is a good character, and Logan as well, but I never felt any type of connection with them. For me, that is usually the first signs of a book failure. I also felt there was a serious lack of world-building, and I was left with more questions than answers. The setup of the world is future memory, and everyone receives one on their seventeenth birthday. There was alittle more explanation, but for the most part you just except what you are told. I don't have to have pages of world-building and in-depth info dumps, but when you bring a new world to the table, I want to understand the ins and outs of it as much as possible.

 The romance between Callie and Logan felt a little forced, and the obstacles that kept getting thrown in their path seemed forced too. It felt like the author was trying a little too hard to make a "doomed from the start" relationship. Star-crossed lovers.

 I will say that the last 4 chapters or so finally caught and held my attention, and I enjoyed the race to save her younger sister. There is a scene at the end that was definitely interesting, and the way the book ended made me curious about where the second will go. So, despite my lack of exuberance about Forget Tomorrow, I think that Pintip Dunn has set up the sequel to this story in a great way. I will check it out, to see where he is going, and I truly hope it is a knock out! 




Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time