The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles #2)

By Mary E. Pearson
Published on July 7th 2015
Published by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Source: Publisher
Intrigue abounds in this hotly anticipated sequel to The Kiss of Deception!

Held captive in the barbarian kingdom of Venda, Lia and Rafe have little chance of escape. Desperate to save her life, Lia's erstwhile assassin, Kaden, has told the Vendan Komizar that she has the gift, and the Komizar's interest in Lia is greater than anyone could have foreseen.

Meanwhile, nothing is straightforward: there's Rafe, who lied to Lia, but has sacrificed his freedom to protect her; Kaden, who meant to assassinate her but has now saved her life; and the Vendans, whom Lia always believed to be barbarians. Now that she lives amongst them, however, she realizes that may be far from the truth. Wrestling with her upbringing, her gift, and her sense of self, Lia must make powerful choices that will affect her country... and her own destiny.


Wow.  Wow wow wow.  So I read book one (and re-read it prior to Heart of Betrayal)- the first book in this series BLEW me away.  I had never been so tricked by a book before.  I had very high expectations coming into Heart of Betrayal and I am so happy to say that I was not let down in the slightest.

Heart of Betrayal picks up right where the first book ends.  Lia, Rafe, and Kaden has discovered each other's true identities (or have they?) and Kaden is taking the to see the Komizar (aka ruler aka big baddie).  One thing that I really love about Pearson's writings- when you read about someone you should hate, you REALLY hate them.  I love the emotion that she brings out in me when I read a book.

I don't want to get too into the romantic aspects of this book- many games are being played throughout the second book. Every word that Lia says, every action she takes, could mean life or death for not only herself but for Rafe too.

I will comment shortly on the end of the book- not stereotypical AT ALL!  I am loving where the author is going with the story.  I did not expect the end of this book and I need 2016 to be here so I can read the third book.

If you were afraid that the second book might be lacking- fear not.  This book is fierce and it will be in my re-read shelf for many years.


Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time