Amanda wonders what went wrong with Deliverance by CJ Redwine

By CJ Redwine
Published on August 26, 2014
Published by Balzer + Bray
Source: Publisher
Everything hangs in the balance, and nothing is certain: Rachel has been kidnapped by enemy forces and is being taken to Rowansmark while Logan, imprisoned and awaiting trial, is unable to leave Lankenshire. Separated from each other and their Baalboden comrades, each must find a way to achieve what they desperately want: to rid their world once and for all of the Commander and the tech that controls the deadly Cursed One.

Fighting through her pain and embracing the warrior she’s become, Rachel will do whatever it takes to escape her enemies’ clutches and join Logan in his fight. But when she learns a secret that changes everything, she realizes that escaping Ian and his tracker friends is no longer an option if she wants to save the people she loves. Instead, she’ll have to destroy Rowansmark from the inside out—if she can survive the journey through the Wasteland.

Logan needs allies if he wants to thwart Rowansmark’s power grab and rescue Rachel. But securing allies will mean betraying his beliefs and enlisting the help of the man he hates more than anyone: Commander Jason Chase. Driven by his fierce love for Rachel and his determination to make their world safe, Logan may be just the weapon the city-states need to defeat the Cursed One.

But as Rowansmark bears down and uneasy alliances are tested, will Rachel and Logan’s love for each other be enough to surmount the unbelievable odds against them?
Oh Deliverance.  I had a love and hate relationship with this book.  Let me give some background first.  When I read review books that are a part of a series- I usually have a year or year and half wait between books.  This either makes me anticipate the book even more, or in some cases, lose interest in the story.  The second book in this series was a powerhouse for me.  I remember feeling full of emotion and very tense as I was reading it.  This one, for the most part, was mild boredom.

Was this a good story?  Absolutely.  Did I have trouble connecting to it because I forgot what the store was about.  Yes.  (This is where the Recaptains usually get involved for me).  Rachel is a fierce fierce lady and I loved reading her story.  I think my real problem was Logan.  I really didn't care about him and didn't want to read the story from his voice.

I honestly can't remember if that was a problem I had in the other books in this series, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I felt pretty similarly about him in the other books.  It isn't that I don't like him- I do.  I just don't want to hear the story from his voice because he complains, worries, and whines too much.  I would have been happy to hear the story only from Rachel's P.O.V.

I will say that I enjoyed the climax of the storyline in this book.  There is a lot of fighting and a lot of bleeding in this book (much like the other books in the series.)  The author is masterful at writing fighting scenes and I really did enjoy reading them.

All in all Deliverance was a decent book.  It simply didn't have the explosiveness that I wanted out of the finale.


Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time