Death Sworn

By Leah Cypress
Published on March 4, 2014
Published by Green Willow
Source: Edelweiss
When Ileni lost her magic, she lost everything: her place in society, her purpose in life, and the man she had expected to spend her life with. So when the Elders sent her to be magic tutor to a secret sect of assassins, she went willingly, even though the last two tutors had died under mysterious circumstances.

But beneath the assassins’ caves, Ileni will discover a new place and a new purpose… and a new and dangerous love. She will struggle to keep her lost magic a secret while teaching it to her deadly students, and to find out what happened to the two tutors who preceded her. But what she discovers will change not only her future, but the future of her people, the assassins… and possibly the entire world.


I know that this author's other series has been on my radar.  I think she typically writes fantasy and I am a big fan of fantasy.  I also know that her books have had mixed reviews.  First of all- can I just say I am SO GLAD that although the storylines are similar- Green Willow didn't put anything in the blurb about the book being compared to Shadow and Bone or Throne of Glass.  Thank you!  (That is a personal irritation- I say let a book stand on its own!)

I enjoyed Death Sworn.  I enjoyed the Assasin's Cave- I thought that was an interesting place to set the novel.  Seriously- so many plot points can be made in a series of twisting turning tunnels and caves! I liked the romance in this book (even if it was a little insta-love at least the male recognized it- I am pretty sure at one point he said, "what do you expect, you are the first girl I have been around!"  Ouch.)

The first time I read it, I really enjoyed it.  Now that I have had time to sit and think about it and pick it apart- I am not sure what I think.  There was a massive lack of world building in Death Sworn- and in a fantasy novel, that really is a must.  I had no idea what was going on other than the scenes that were being presented.  I really think that was the biggest issue in this book- I had no history of Ileni or the world- so I had no reason to care. 

If you are a fan of fantasy and magic, you will probably enjoy Death Sworn- but I am holding out for the second book to see if the problems of the first get resolved.

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time