Ruby Red Mini Review

By Kerstin Gier
Published on May 10th 2011
Published by Henry Holt
Source: Gift
Sixteen-year-old Gwen lives with her extended - and rather eccentric - family in an exclusive London neighborhood. In spite of her ancestors' peculiar history, she's had a relatively normal life so far. The time-traveling gene that runs like a secret thread through the female half of the family is supposed to have skipped over Gwen, so she hasn't been introduced to "the mysteries," and can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesly. It comes as an unwelcome surprise when she starts taking sudden, uncontrolled leaps into the past.

She's totally unprepared for time travel, not to mention all that comes with it: fancy clothes, archaic manners, a mysterious secret society, and Gideon, her time-traveling counterpart. He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen in any centrury . . . .
Ok, so I will be honest.  I saw the original cover to this book and assumed it was a middle grade book.  I didn't read the blurb- but assumed by looking at the picture on the front.  I realized at the end of last year that I was totally wrong and a bunch of my blogger friends loved this series- so I figured I would try it out.  My husband bought me the entire series for Christmas and I read them all while on vacation.

I was hooked immediately with this book. I found it to be full of action and very exciting.  It is funny because at the end of the book, one of the characters comments about how it has only been a week or two- I was shocked.  I thought for sure a few months had gone by at least.  There is a TON of stuff going on in this book.  I found the romance to be a little instant-y, but I enjoyed all of the time traveling.... and the outfits.  OH the outfits.  I want this to be a movie just so I can see the outfits.

The only complaint that I had about the first book was, although there was a ton of action, the book literally just cuts off.  I know very little more about  Gwen's situation at the end of the book than I did at the beginning.  I am glad, for this reason that I had the entire series- I would have been seriously annoyed!

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time