Uninvited

By Sophie Jordan
Published on January 28th 2014
Published by HarperTeen
Source: Publisher
When Davy Hamilton's tests come back positive for Homicidal Tendency Syndrome (HTS)-aka the kill gene-she loses everything. Her boyfriend ditches her, her parents are scared of her, and she can forget about her bright future at Juilliard. Davy doesn't feel any different, but genes don't lie. One day she will kill someone.

Only Sean, a fellow HTS carrier, can relate to her new life. Davy wants to trust him; maybe he's not as dangerous as he seems. Or maybe Davy is just as deadly.
What an excellent start to a series.  First of all the cover- I am not sure why, but I assumed looking at the cover it was some sort of paranormal book (I tend not to read summaries apparently!).  Well, if you notice her hair- there is dna!  What a beautiful touch!  I love the cover of this book- though I also would have loved to see her tatoo- maybe on the next one?  The girl is pretty spot on to how the character is described, and although a fancy dress would have been hilariously appropriate this time, she is wearing something true to the story.

Sophie Jordan is such a talented writer.  She has the ability to make you really care about her characters.  This story felt very familiar- it honestly reminded me a lot of Divergent.  Not because of the plot- because they were very different, but because of how character driven the book is.  Davy is not some strong super person- she is vulnerable, she has been pampered, and she is pretty weak.  A ton of bad stuff happens to Davy and it takes her a long time to overcome constantly being the victim.  She really does have it tough in this book.   I can't necessarily say that is a dystopian- it didn't FEEL like a dystopian- it felt more like adventure with a touch of sci-fi (if you consider genes and that sort of thing sci-fi).

No matter what category it fits I really enjoyed this book.  I loved Sean- he reminded me much of Four, dangerous without being a danger to the main character, having integrity, and being very swoon worthy for the main character.  Now that being said Sean is very different from Four- I don't want to say they are identical characters, they are absolutely not.

I have to say, there was one part of this book that felt so real and I have to applaud the author for it.  It is interesting, I hear complaints many times about main female characters being "too good" or "too weak".  It was interesting to see that sort of character be put into a position where she literally is fighting for her life.  She gets angry at herself for not being strong enough or being able to protect herself.  She has to rely on her friends who, yes are male, and yes are bigger than her.  I don't think that relying on friends is a weakness and I am curious to see what other bloggers will think about that aspect.

I loved this book and I am very much looking forward to the rest of the series!

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time