Altered


By Gennifer Albin
Published on October 29, 2013
Published by
Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Source: Publisher
Life. Possibility. Choice.
All taken from Adelice by the Guild—until she took them back.

But amid the splendid ruins of Earth, Adelice discovers how dangerous freedom can be. Hunted by soulless Remnants sent by Cormac Patton and the Guild, Adelice finds a world that’s far from deserted. Although allies are easy to find on Earth, knowing who to trust isn’t. Because everyone has secrets, especially those Adelice loves most. Secrets they would kill to protect. Secrets that will redefine each of them. Torn between two brothers and two worlds, Adelice must choose what to fight for.

Wow, Altered took a major turn for the dark.  First of all- I miss the original cover. I don't like how commericalized Altered looks.  It looks like some sort of crime drama rather than a scifi/ dystopian/ fantasy adventure.  I am a little disappointed that they changed the theme of the second book.  Altered was super dark and read much more like a straight dystopian rather than a fantasy.  Altered is much grittier, and they are significantly less parties and fun things to read about. Life on Earth is hard.

One aspect of this book that I adored was that I realized that this series is an alternate history series.  This book takes place in the first half of the 1900s and many historical figures are a part of this book.  I loved that part so much. I loved how much world building was in this book- so many questions answered!  So many surprises!  I loved the romance and turn it took (well because it went the direction I wanted ha ha!)

Altered ended with a bang and made me immediately want the third book- I don't know how I am going to wait another year!  With the author's eye for detail and her ability to write fantastic action and adventure, I know it is going to be fabulous!

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time