Icons Mini-review


By Margaret Stohl
Published on May 7, 2013
Published by Little Brown
Source: Publisher for review
Your heart beats only with their permission.

Everything changed on The Day. The day the windows shattered. The day the power stopped. The day Dol's family dropped dead. The day Earth lost a war it didn't know it was fighting.

Since then, Dol has lived a simple life in the countryside -- safe from the shadow of the Icon and its terrifying power. Hiding from the one truth she can't avoid.

She's different. She survived. Why?

When Dol and her best friend, Ro, are captured and taken to the Embassy, off the coast of the sprawling metropolis once known as the City of Angels, they find only more questions. While Ro and fellow hostage Tima rage against their captors, Dol finds herself drawn to Lucas, the Ambassador's privileged son. But the four teens are more alike than they might think, and the timing of their meeting isn't a coincidence. It's a conspiracy.

Within the Icon's reach, Dol, Ro, Tima, and Lucas discover that their uncontrollable emotions -- which they've always thought to be their greatest weaknesses -- may actually be their greatest strengths.

I was hesitant going into this book.  I will admit, I am NOT a fan of the Beautiful Creatures series (mainly because of the writing) and I haven't been a fan of Margaret Stohl or Kami Garcia's short stories.  I decided to give it a try, mainly because of Andye from Reading Teen (we tend to have similar opinions of books) and the mass amounts of sparkling reviews from other bloggers.

This was a fantastic book.  I loved the idea that the aliens were the enemy and were not trying to be friends with humans in any way.  The entire concept of the story I found to be incredibly engrossing and fascinating.  The characters were developed well and I loved the relationships between the characters.  I thought it was interesting- one of the main issues I have heard about Icons is that it is "insta-love".  Well in the context of the book it is both not surprising and not really true (I don't want to go into details, but one of the characters has powers to make everyone love him.... that technically is insta-love I suppose.)

This was a great book and I am curious to see how the next will be.

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time