Thorn Abbey (now with more gifs!)


By Nancy Ohlin
Published on May 7, 2013
Published by Simon Pulse
Source: Publisher for Review
Nothing is as it seems in this darkly romantic tale of infatuation and possession, inspired by Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca.

Becca was the perfect girlfriend: smart, gorgeous, and loved by everyone at New England’s premier boarding school, Thorn Abbey. But Becca’s dead. And her boyfriend, Max, can’t get over his loss.

Then Tess transfers to Thorn Abbey. She’s shy, insecure, and ordinary—everything that Becca wasn’t. And despite her roommate’s warnings, she falls for brooding Max.

Now Max finally has a reason to move on. Except it won’t be easy. Because Becca may be gone, but she’s not quite ready to let him go…

Thorn Abbey is a modern take on the story of Rebecca.  It follows the original story pretty closely (well until the end) and even uses the original names (and variations of those names where needed). I have some positives and negatives for this book... I think I am going to have to lay them out in a list:
The Good:
-Characters- the characters really were intriguing.  I found the main character pretty interesting (even if her name was odd to me- I am not sure how wise it was to have two pivotal characters in the story to have uncommon K names. That however, could just be a personal thing. Otherwise the characters were a lot of fun to read, and at some points flat out crazy!
-The plot- ok this is an obvious one for me.  I LOVE the story of Rebecca.  I love the movies made of Rebecca.  It is scary, mysterious, and a little bit crazy (and doesn't end the way you would expect!) This book (until the last few chapters) really did a great job with following the original tale.
-The mechanics- the pacing, the action, the language, the conversations in this book were all spot on.  It was a solid "contemporary with an odd twist" book and I really did enjoy reading it- I never got bored from it.

The Not So Good:
-I need to just get this out:  THE LAST TWO CHAPTERS.  I mean, is it really possible for a book to jump the shark TWICE? I literally was reading and starting shouting, "WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WHAT!!??!!"  I have no idea what happened, no I do- this is what happened:



- I am not sure why the author took the turn that she did but I have to say, I was a fan of the book until that moment.  And on the last page- it happens again.












According to my husband, I apparently then made this face and threw the book:

















Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time