The Obsidian Mirror


By Catherine Fisher
Published on April 23rd 2013
Published by Dial
Source: Publisher
Jake's father disappears while working on mysterious experiments with the obsessive, reclusive Oberon Venn. Jake is convinced Venn has murdered him. But the truth he finds at the snow-bound Wintercombe Abbey is far stranger ... The experiments concerned a black mirror, which is a portal to both the past and the future. Venn is not alone in wanting to use its powers. Strangers begin gathering in and around Venn's estate: Sarah - a runaway, who appears out of nowhere and is clearly not what she says, Maskelyne - who claims the mirror was stolen from him in some past century. There are others, a product of the mirror's power to twist time. And a tribe of elemental beings surround this isolated estate, fey, cold, untrustworthy, and filled with hate for humans. But of them all, Jake is hell-bent on using the mirror to get to the truth. Whatever the cost, he must learn what really happened to his father
This is my first book by this author.  I know Incarceron has a huge fan base, so I was looking forward to reading something by this popular author.  I enjoyed the author's writing style.  I found it easy to read and more ya than mg.  I thought she blended conversations and actions well (there was a good balance of both).

I am, though, conflicted on this book.  I spent about 3/4 of the book wondering what in the world was going on (and for some reason spent the first 1/4 of the book not knowing what time period it was.) That is my fault- I know they were sending emails and using cell phones, but I think it being set in a village with an old and creepy abbey made me think of historical fiction.  Which it was... kinda.

I enjoyed the tie-in of the fae in this book.  I am always a huge fan of fae, but I wonder why they were there (plot-wise I get it, but I am not seeing why they were neccesary).  There is no romance in this book, but I wasn't disappointed.  I enjoyed the interactions between characters.  I have to say, my favorite character was Wharton (Jake's teacher).  I felt like he was the voice of reason and the voice of "what the heck is going on here??" voice in the book.  I also don't read many books narrated by males, but I really enjoyed this one.

This was a fun introduction to this author for me.  I look forward to finding out more about this world (and what on earth is going on!).  A mix of light fantasy and science fiction with a dash of history, The Obsidian Mirror was a fun and adventerous read with serious undertones.

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time