The Elite

By Kiera Cass
Published on April 23, 2013
Published by Harper Teen
Source: Damaris of Good Choice Reading
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea. America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide. Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


Whew this was a super conflicting book for me- and in a good way.  I devoured this book in one sitting and am so happy about the route this book is going.America is not someone who will let others push her around and I appreciate that.

Let me get this out of the way first- there are many people who are against this series and who find this series to be dystopian-lite and frivolous with all of the dresses and girly competition.  I suppose I should feel guilty for loving this series- but I don't.  At all.  I am ENJOYING the world that the author has created and am enjoying a book that isn't drowing in such a heavy and depressing dystopian storyline that I feel miserable reading it.  And ... I LIKE reading about fancy dresses.  I like reading about masquerades, balls, and afternoon teas.  I am so glad that others are able to make their opinions known and feel so strongly- that is fine with me, but I respectfully disagree- I love this series!  Is it the most profound series I have ever read? No.  But I find myself biting my nails, eagerly turning pages to find out what happens next.  The Selection and The Elite are similar to Downton Abbey and Once Upon a Time for me- they are soap operas that are drama filled and beautiful and keep me on the edge of my seat. 

All that to say, the relationships in this book? I wanted to throw the book a few times!  Seriously.  AND I have decided to change teams- I am no longer on team Maxom.  He doesn't deserve America.  And America- whew did she make some mistakes in this book.  I loved the drama and all of the interactions between the characters.  The dialog was excellent and the pacing was absolutely perfect.  Sadly to say, the abuse that this book took from me was a little unfair- it really went through the ringer while I was reading it.  I absolutely can't wait for book three- I just hope I don't have to wait another year for it!

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time