Fathomless

By Jackson Pearce
Published on September 4, 2012
Published by Little Brown
Source: Finished Copy for Review
Celia Reynolds is the youngest in a set of triplets and the one with the least valuable power. Anne can see the future, and Jane can see the present, but all Celia can see is the past. And the past seems so insignificant -- until Celia meets Lo.
Lo doesn't know who she is. Or who she was. Once a human, she is now almost entirely a creature of the sea -- a nymph, an ocean girl, a mermaid -- all terms too pretty for the soulless monster she knows she's becoming. Lo clings to shreds of her former self, fighting to remember her past, even as she's tempted to embrace her dark immortality.

When a handsome boy named Jude falls off a pier and into the ocean, Celia and Lo work together to rescue him from the waves. The two form a friendship, but soon they find themselves competing for Jude's affection. Lo wants more than that, though. According to the ocean girls, there's only one way for Lo to earn back her humanity. She must persuade a mortal to love her . . . and steal his soul.

Man this is a hard review for me to write.  I absolutely adored Sisters Red and Sweetly.  I was expecting Fathomless to be as fantastic, but sadly that wasn't the case for me.  I don't know if it wasn't the right time or the right setting and I didn't get that amazed feeling with this book.  

This book centers around two people - Celia and Lo.  Lo is a mermaid (but not the Little Mermaid kind of mermaid).  I enjoyed the interactions between Lo and Celia and the underwater interactions.  Celia's romance with Jude was very sweet, but I didn't believe that he fell in love with her so quickly- not that it COULDN'T happen, but I just didn't find it believable.

I thought how the author tied in the wolves was an interested twist, but not one that I completely understood (not that that was an issue for me).  It was a fun twist and something that I don't think has been done in other stories.  I really thought this book shone with the interactions of the mermaids underwater.  I would have loved to know more of the mermaids and gotten to explore their underwater adventures more.

This book wasn't fantastic, it wasn't awful, it was just.. meh... for me.  Take it or leave it.  I am a little disappointed in the way this series continued (because I don''t think it is over), but I just wasn't wowed.





Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time