Revived


Revived
By Cat Patrick
Published on May 8, 2012
Published by Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Source:  Finished Copy from Publisher








Summary taken from Goodreads:

As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life.

A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she discovers the agency’s true goals, she realizes she’s at the center of something much larger—and more sinister—than she ever imagined.



The Cover: I am a big fan of all of Cat Patrick's covers.  I am not sure who she has working on them, but they are striking and unusual.  This cover has no literal translation within the book, but I can see how it is a metaphorical look at the character's situation.  I love the font, the colors, and pretty much everything about the book.  It is what initially drew me in and made we want to find out more.

The Characters:  Daisy is the main character. She is a loner who has died 5 times in her life- all from (in her opinion) freak accidents.  She is afraid to make friends because she moves so often.  All that changes when she meets Aubrey and Matt.  Aubrey and Matt are brother and sister.  I found their situation much more compelling than Daisy's.  I didn't have a problem with any of the characters, but with the exception of Aubrey- I felt like I didn't really get to know them very well.  The side characters- the agents, other friends, and family didn't truly get any time to shine.


The Story:  This story was decent, but not one I would go back to over and over again.  The pacing and the story did well, but about 3/4 of the way through the book- the plot simply fell off of a cliff.  Above in the synopsis it says that "she discovers the agency's true goals..." .  Perhaps I wasn't as attentive as I should have been, but I completely missed this. There was a climax in the action, but it was hardly an astounding revelation- and the story ended in an incredibly unsatisfying way.  I would give the first 3/4 of the book 4 stars and the last 1/4 2 stars.  I hope there is a sequel to this- because the ending felt forced and not complete.




Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time