I Kill Giants- Graphic Novel Mini Review

I Kill Giants
By Joe Kelly 
Illustrated by J.M. Ken Niimura
Published by Image Comics
Published on September 2009
Source: Gift







Summary Taken From Goodreads:

Barbara Thorson, a girl battling monsters both real and imagined, kicks butt, takes names, and faces her greatest fear in this bittersweet, coming-of-age story called "Best Indy Book of 2008" by IGN. Collects I Kill Giants #1-7.


I was given I Kill Giants by my husband last Christmas and finally got around to reading it.  He was told that I would really love this comic and that it was one of the stand out series in graphic novels.  

I have mixed feelings about I Kill Giants.  For one thing, I don't get the point of useless nudity- especially when the figures are drawn to look like children.  It didn't put me in the right frame of mind to like this book. 

The story itself would have made a great novel.  Barbara is a very troubled child who is dealing with her mother's terminal illness in a very unhealthy way- by imagining that she is a giant fighter, but also by taking out her rage on anyone who upset her.  She constantly finds herself getting into fights and getting into trouble.  She finally makes a friend, Sophia, and Sophia helps to draw her out of her cold shell.

Like I said- I enjoyed the story, but I can't say I was a huge fan of the illustrations.  I am more used to shojo and clean lines in Japanese manga- and I sometimes found this story hard to follow- I felt like I really had to fill in the pieces myself.  This was an interesting read, but not one I will read again.


Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time