Sweet Venom

Sweet Venom
By Tara Lynn Childs
Published by Katherine Tegen Books
Published on September 2011









Summary taken from Goodreads:

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.


 The cover: Creepy, mysterious, and different- I love this cover.  I love how simple it is- the focus is on a braid that gives the reader a hint of Medusa.  I love that I can still look at this book and wonder which sister it is (I am guessing Gretchen!)


The characters: I enjoyed reading about the three sisters.  Gretchen and Grace are the two storylines that are developed the most.  I really enjoyed reading about all three sisters, but I really wish that I could have gotten to know Greer a bit more.  She is the character I still know very little about.  Gretchen, Greer, and Grace couldn't have more different personalities- and that was so much fun to read!  (PSST- Because I was curious, I looked up the names of the sisters and what they meant:
Gretchen:  Pearl
Greer: Watcher
Grace: Good Will

If you have read the story- this will be very interesting to you.  The names really do fit!


The story: The story moved very quickly.  It was fun seeing multiple points of view, but the story felt very short because of it.  I didn't get to know the characters as much as I would have liked because of how much it jumped between people.  That didn't hurt the story, though.  It was a complete story, but a short one. I am really looking forward to book two- which comes out this September!





Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time