Song of My Heart

Song of My Heart
By Kim Vogel Sawyer
Published on February 2012
Published by Bethany House
Source: From Publisher for Review








Summary taken from Goodreads:

Sadie Wagner has always been devoted to her family. So when her stepfather is injured and can't work, she decides to leave home and accept a position as a clerk at the mercantile in Goldtree, Kansas. Goldtree also offers the opportunity to use her God-given singing talent—though the promised opera house is far different from what she imagined. With her family needing every cent she can provide, Sadie will do anything to keep her job.
Thad McKane comes to Goldtree at the request of the town council. The town has been plagued by bootlegging operations, and Thad believes he can find the culprit. After he earns enough money doing sheriff work, he wants to use it to pay for his training to become a minister.
Thad is immediately attracted to the beautiful singer who performs in Asa Baxter's unusual opera house, but when he hears her practicing bawdy tunes, he begins to wonder if she's far less innocent than she seems. And when Sadie appears to be part of the very crimes he's come to investigate, is there any hope the love blossoming between them will survive?


The Cover:  I don't like this cover.  I want to- I really do.  I love the colors and how the model is standing- but I don't like the model.  She is very pretty, but not what I imagine Sadie to look like.  Sadie is described as angelic and very beautiful- I imagine have very small feminine features.  The model on this book just doesn't line up for me.  I don't know if it is the hand, the expression the model has, or the lack of hair- but it isn't my favorite cover.

The Characters:  Sadie, Sadie, Sadie.  I like you; I dislike you.  I want to like you, I really do. But you seem to have absolutely no backbone or will of your own.  For someone who has traveled across the country to support your family- you really have very little courage to stand up for what is right.  I wanted to like you more, I really did- but I'm sorry Sadie, you didn't seem to grow at all in this book.  Thad was a dashing hero, but wasn't without his own set of problems.  I left the end of the story still not really knowing anything about Thad.  I wanted to root for him, but I didn't know much of his history- so much was hinted at but never actually told.  And Asa Baxter- you are skeevy.


The Story:  This was not my favorite Christian fiction novel.  It had all the trappings of a good novel, but I simply couldn't get 'in" to the characters.  They were not characters that I was really wanting to root for.  I was interested in the story until the very end when Sadie saw someone close to her shoot and kill another person- does she do the right thing and turn them in?  No, she doesn't say anything.  That's not right and doesn't fit her character at all.  I was pretty disappointed in this story.  It was a decent book, but far from my favorite.



Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time