Destined

Destined
By Jessie Harrell
Published on November 2011
Published by Mae Day Publishing
Source:  From Author for Review






Summary Taken from Goodreads:

When Psyche receives a prophecy gone horribly wrong, she learns that even the most beautiful girl in Greece can have a hideous future. Her fate? Fall in love with the one creature even the gods fear.

As she feels herself slipping closer into the arms of the prophecy, Psyche must choose between the terrifyingly tender touch she feels almost powerless to resist and the one constant she's come to expect out of life: you cannot escape what is destined. 



Wow did I love this book!  This is not a modern telling where "Lauren" is a normal high school student and suddenly finds out she is a reincarnation of Psyche and has to defeat some evil curse.  This is a retelling of the myth of Psyche and Eros.  It takes place in ancient Greece and stays in Ancient Greece.  I loved that! It is funny how I find a straight retelling of a mythological story set in Ancient Greece new and different, but compared to other books out there- it really is!


I struggled  a bit in the beginning.  I doubt that Psyche's dad was "freaking out".  I found the contemporary "teen speak" to be a distraction at the beginning.  But I kept going and I am so glad I did.  After Psyche finds out her prophecy, the author seems to settle into the story, giving it a natural flow.  The narration of the story switched between Psyche and Eros, and although I typically dislike  books with multiple narrators, I really enjoyed this.  I think if the story was told only through Psyche's eyes, we would have missed a huge part of the story.


This story reads like a fairy tale (well I suppose a mythological tale) in a very wonderful way.  There are tests from the Gods, interaction between the Gods and Godesses and other mythological creatures. 


Any fan of mythology would love this book!  I hope the author writes more books based on mythology- this debut was unforgettable!

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time