Evernight

Evernight
By Claudia Gray
Published by Harper Teen
Published on February 2009







Summary taken from Goodreads:

Bianca wants to escape.

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.


What... in the world?  This book has me feeling angsty.  I want to love it. I want to hate it.  I don't know what I want to feel about it.  Claudia Gray (Amy Vincent) is an expert writer.  She knows how to write a story with action, a fast moving plot, and a steamy romance.  I loved Balthazar, Lucas, and Bianca.  (Although I am rooting for Balthazar I think ha ha). 

The problem I have with Evernight is the sudden and massive turn the story takes about 100 pages into the story.  This is a pretty old book, so I am not really concerned about spoilers (but if you haven't read Evernight- please stop reading now).  I was completely knocked off my feet at the shocking turn the story took. Most authors at least hint at what is to come, but there was no hint- nothing.  I actually got so frustrated with the book that I put it down for awhile.  I felt like the entire first one hundred pages of the book was a waste of my time. 

I did return to the book, and I am pretty glad I did.  Bianca is hard to like.  I have no idea what she knows and what she doesn't know (and the amount she knows about vampires seems to change based on the chapter).  Even at the end of the book, I couldn't find myself rooting for her 100%.

I did enjoy the story, but I am not going to put book two on hold right away.  I am still reeling from the shock of the first book, and am unsure about continuing the series.



Have you read book two?  Is it worth me reading?  What did you think about the shocking moment in book one?  I would love to hear your thoughts!


Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time