Corsets and Clockwork- Summer Reading Challenge

Corsets and Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances


Edited by:  Trisha Telep

Published by:  Running Press Kids

Published on: April 2011


Summary taken from Goodreads:

Dark, urban fantasies come to life in the newest collection of Steampunk stories, Corsets & Clockwork. Young heroes and heroines battle evils with the help of supernatural or super-technological powers, each individual story perfectly balancing historical and fantastical elements. Throw in epic romances that transcend time, and this trendy, engrossing anthology is sure to become another hit for the fast-growing Steampunk genre!
This collection features some of the hottest writers in the teen genre, including: Ann Aguirre, Jaclyn Dolamore, Tessa Gratton, Frewin Jones, Caitlin Kittredge, Adrienne Kress, Lesley Livingston, Dru Pagliassotti, Dia Reeves, Michael Scott, Maria V. Snyder, Tiffany Trent, and Kiersten White.



This book is packed with well known and loved YA authors.  I  have read something from a majority of these authors, and have nothing negative to say about them.  Plus, this book is about steampunk- even better!

I have learned two things from this anthology:  1)  I don't think I really know what steampunk is and 2) Never base an author on their anthology short stories.


Some of the stories in this anthology didn't seem to have much to do with steampunk and really had more to do with straight fiction (or horror in my opinion). I love Frenwin Jones, and I LOVE the Faerie Path series- but her short story on cannibalistic mermaids gave me nightmares, literally.  (And not in the hunky vampire way either!)  

I didn't really bother to look at who wrote what while I was reading. It is curious, though, that I loved Maria V. Snyder's and Jaclyn Dolamore's short stories and I also love their books.  I found myself wishing that those stories could go on to a novel's length.



Above all, this book left me confused- about what steampunk is (and after some research I think that the book is wrong not me), and also about the stories themselves.




Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time