Whisper on the Wind

"In Brussels at the height of WWI, a small, underground newspaper is the only thing offering the occupied city hope—and real news of the war. The paper may be a small whisper amid the shouts of the German army, but Edward Kirkland will do anything to keep it in print. Meanwhile, Isa Lassone, a Belgian-American socialite whose parents whisked her to safety at the start of the war, sneaks back into the country to rescue those dearest to her: Edward and his mother. But Edward refuses to go, and soon Isa is drawn into his secret life printing the newspaper . . . And into his heart."- Taken from the Tyndale Website

I have a long hard history with Historical Christian romances- they can either be really good... or really terrible and cheesy.  I didn't read any of the summary or an excerpt of this book before I ordered it.  When I recieved the book- I was caught first by the fact that it was a beautiful cover and also... that it looked like most other historical christian romances out there.  The book jumps right into the action, and honestly it takes the first chapter for you to figure out what is going on (I thought there were pages missing in my book).  After such a jumpstart, I wondered how this book could be 400 pages long.  Around page 200 the book stalled out... and to be honest I almost gave up on it.  The character development was seriously lacking.  I felt like each character had their "role" and never stepped out of it.  By the last 100 pages of the novel, the author had turned the pace of the story back to something exciting and entertaining.  All in all, it was a satisfying read.  I haven't read any of this author's books before- and I think this book was decent enough that I will go and check her out.

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time