Jaime Reviews ~ The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions) by Amy Spalding

By Amy Spalding
Published on April 5, 2016
Published by: Poppy
Source: Around the World ARC Tours
A ridiculously cute, formerly-famous new guy dropping into your life? It's practically every girl's dream. 

But not Jules McCallister-Morgan's. 

I realize that on paper I look like your standard type-A, neurotic, overachiever. And maybe I am. But I didn't get to be the editor of my school's long-revered newspaper by just showing up*. I have one main goal for my senior year-early acceptance into my first choice Ivy League college-and I will not be deterred by best friends, moms who think I could stand to "live a little," or boys. 

At least, that was the plan before I knew about Alex Powell**.

And before Alex Powell betrayed me***.

I know what you're thinking: Calm down, Jules. But you don't understand. This stuff matters. This is my life. And I'm not going down without a fight. 

----

* Okay, I sort of did. But it's a sore subject.

** I mean, I guess everyone knows about Alex Powell? Two years ago, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about viral video boy band sensation Chaos 4 All. Two years ago, Alex Powell was famous.

***Some people think I'm overreacting. But this. Means. War.

Filled with romance, rivalry, and passive-aggressive dog walking, Amy Spalding delivers a hilariously relatable high school story that's sure to have you falling for The New Guy.


The New Guy...

  A cute read, with interesting characters, and a high school setting that is very ambitious, The New Guy offers a fun and quick read perfect to make you smile. While it isn't a perfect book, and there were areas that frustrated me, I still finished it in record time with a smile on my face.

 It is senior year and Jules has big plans. Most importantly, gaining the editor position for the school newspaper, The Crest. She is an overachiever to the max, and absolutely Type-A, but that is just fine with her. She doesn't need distractions this year, she just needs to focus on getting into the best school possible. But when Jules meets the new student in school, a former boy-bander named Alex and he starts showing up at her locker and lunch table and flirting with her, she starts to wonder if maybe a little distraction wouldn't be too bad. Then she hears about a new online news program, with her nemesis at the helm, and something that seems a lot like betrayal occurs, Jules will stop at nothing to save The Crest. Even if it means losing the one guy she thought might be her perfect distraction. 

 Jules is a character that I could see making people angry, but I personally adored her. Yes, she did things that drove me crazy and even made me angry, but you can easily see that she means to do the right thing. She isn't used to a guy being in her life, or having something that she loves and has worked hard for, threatened and she makes some bad decisions. But in the end, she owns up to that and does everything she can to make it right. Alex was a good love interest, but a little underdeveloped for my taste. Their romance was sweet, but I wish there was a little more oomph behind it. One of the great things about this book was the very real depiction of friendships in high school, especially during senior year. Jules best friend starts to feel left out, and ignored, with very good reasons. I loved this plot line in the story, and I love the way it was resolved. The characters definitely make this story. 

 The only real complaint that I have is not even really a complaint. The writing felt a little more juvenile than most YA contemps I encounter these days. But that in itself isn't a bad thing. It is definitely more to do with my less than YA age. For the most part, this story is sweet and a good lesson in what it means to start growing up.

Jaime Lynn

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time