Jaime Review's ~ Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell

By Betsy Cornwell
Published on August 25, 2015
Published by: Clarion Books
Source: Edelweiss
Nicolette’s awful stepsisters call her “Mechanica” to demean her, but the nickname fits: she learned to be an inventor at her mother’s knee. Her mom is gone now, though, and the Steps have turned her into a servant in her own home. 

But on her sixteenth birthday, Nicolette discovers a secret workshop in the cellar and begins to dare to imagine a new life for herself. Could the mysterious books and tools hidden there—and the mechanical menagerie, led by a tiny metal horse named Jules—be the key to escaping her dreary existence? With a technological exposition and royal ball on the horizon, the timing might just be perfect for Nicolette to earn her freedom at last.

Gorgeous prose and themes of social justice and family shine in this richly imagined Cinderella retelling about an indomitable inventor who finds her prince . . . but realizes she doesn't want a fairy tale happy ending after all.



My Review...

  I have heard so many different thoughts on this book, from the bad (too much like Cinder, and not as good) to the awesome. So I had no idea what I was going to think when I started reading it. I am happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this fun, heartwarming, fast-paced Clockwork Cinderella retelling very much. I look forward to seeing what else Betsy Cornwell brings to the table! I am really hoping that it will be Book 2 of Mechanica!

 My favorite part was absolutely Jules, the clockwork horse, and all of his clockwork insect minions. They were amazing creatures, and the descriptions were so perfect. All i could think the whole time was, I WANT A JULES! If only... Nicolette, otherwise known as Nick and Mechanica, was another favorite part of the story. She was a wonderful MC. Determined and willful, she had a strong mind and a strong body. She fought for her dreams, and she succeeded. She put up with so much hate and bullying from her stepmother and stepsisters, but she doesn't let it keep her down. I genuinely enjoyed her.

 Nick, after sneaking out of the house one day, meets Caro and Finn. They become fast friends, and I loved these two so much. They were both great secondary characters. Caro was loud and boisterous and fun, and she loved so strongly. Finn was loyal and kind, even when he was hiding who he really was. There was some romance in the story, but not the kind you might be expecting. Still, I thought it added an interesting dynamic to the story overall.

 The only issue that I had with Mechanica was that I wanted MORE! I wanted to know more about the world, the Fae and their awesome magic. I wanted more of Mr. Candry. What I really want is another book. The ending left me hopeful that there might be a sequel, and if there is it will make me a very happy woman! 




Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time