Katana

Katana
By Cole Gibsen
Published by Flux
Published on March 8, 2012








Summary taken from Goodreads:

Rileigh Martin would love to believe that adrenaline had given her the uncanny courage and strength to fend off three muggers. But it doesn't explain her dreams of 15th-century Japan, the incredible fighting skills she suddenly possesses, or the strange voice giving her battle tips and danger warnings.

While worrying that she's going crazy (always a reputation ruiner), Rileigh gets a visit from Kim, a handsome martial arts instructor, who tells Rileigh she's harboring the spirit of a five-hundred-year-old samurai warrior.

Relentlessly attacked by ninjas, Rileigh has no choice but to master the katana--a deadly Japanese sword that's also the key to her past. As the spirit grows stronger and her feelings for Kim intensify, Rileigh is torn between continuing as the girl she's always been and embracing the warrior inside her
.

The Cover:  I really dislike this cover.  I don't like the font, and I don't think the graphics behind the main character do it justice.  I like the picture of the girl... but that is about it.  I have to say that I thought my dislike of the cover would sway my opinion of the book into the negative, but I was happy to find that although I really dislike the cover- I LOVED the book!

Characters:  Rileigh suddenly finds herself hearing voices and kicking some hard core butt- to muggers, poor orderlies at the hospital, and anyone who has the misfortune of sneaking up behind her.  Rileigh thinks she is losing her mind, and it doesn't help that a martial arts instructor suddenly shows up and tells her she is a samurai reborn.I loved Rileigh's character.  I love that she didn't "buy into it" right away- I loved that she thought she was crazy!  I didn't like Kim at the start of the book.  I am not entirely sure why- perhaps it was because he was never 100% honest with Rileigh.  I did, however, really like him by the end of the book. I also enjoyed that so many characters knew about Rileigh- it was no secret between Kim and Rileigh.  It was interesting to see the idea of reincarnated samurai through so many eyes.

The Story:  I loved this story!  The action never stopped!  I loved the fights, the flashbacks into the history of the samurai, and the love story between many of the characters. I really hope that this book becomes a series- I would love to read it AND watch it on my television. The samurai are not cheesy or cliche- I love that they are really kick butt when they need to be and there is no possession involved.  If you are a fan of action packed books with a romance that will turn up the heat- get your hands on this book!



Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time