The Girl in the Clockwork Collar

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar
By Kady Cross
Published by Harlequin Teen
Published on May 22, 2012








Summary taken from Goodreads:

In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous.

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves.

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.

The Cover:  My first thought when I saw this cover is:  WHO IS THIS?  It couldn't be Finley or Emily- they are not Asian.  I was intrigued by the clockwork collar and who this new character could be.  I think the dress is lovely and after reading this book, the model and cover are more true to the actual novel than the first book.  (If you notice on book one, the model has brown hair- Finley is blonde with one black streak in her hair.)

The Characters:  I love these characters!  Kady Cross has created an entire world with characters that you can't help but love.  They are rough and tumble and don't mind getting into a fight (or diving in head first if you are talking about Finley), but are also intelligent and refined.  I loved the character development between Finley and Griffin (and I am rather happy that Jack isn't in this book at all). I really got to know Jasper much better in this book.  In the first book, Jasper was incredibly mysterious and it was fun to take a look into his past.

The Story: This story had everything working against it for me- the e-copy I recieved was a mess on my Kobo.  It took me 4 clicks to get to the next page and about 8 or 9 to get past a blank page- incredibly irritating!  However, I adored this story.  The world that the author has created is rich and imaginative with hints of history and science tucked in neatly.  Kady Cross takes her readers on a grand adventure in this book.  One that is full of action, double-crossing, mystery, romance, and good old fashion brawling.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I can't wait until book three comes out!

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time