Best Book Ever Week 4: Boarding Schools




Welcome to the Best Book Ever feature on Short and Sweet Reviews. Each week, authors, bloggers, and book lovers share what they think is the best book in a specific theme. This week- we are heading out of the public school world and heading to


Week 4: Boarding Schools


The best book I've read that takes place in a boarding school would have to be the entire Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead! I think there are 7 books in the whole series and each one is just fantastic. Plus the main character, Rose, is so kick ass and her sexy love interest Dimitri is just as swoon worthy as ever! I haven't read her companion novel, Bloodlines, but I've heard it's really good as well! Richelle Mead is an awesome writer, and the fact that everything is set in a boarding school just makes things more interesting!



Best boarding school type book will have to be a close call between Mythos Academy in Jennifer Estep series that include Kiss of Frost and Touch of Frost then my other choice is Jennifer L Armentrout series that contain Half-Blood and Pure. These schools are pretty bad-ass. You train to become strong warrior individuals. Plus get all the perks of a posh school. Not a bad place to attend for High School.
about for a long long time. 
Ah Boarding Schools was a hard one! I personally love love books that take place in some sort of boarding school/academy/etc, but I really haven't read that many! Hex Hall is for sure one of my favorites though, the main character Sophie is such a treat! She makes an amazing heroine, which to me is very important in novels. If your looking for a boarding school setting book that has awesome paranormal mix, Hex Hall is totally for you ! 
- Haley @ YA-Aholic






This is a topic I'd already given a lot of thought-- Who doesn't play If I could go to school in a book, where would I choose to go? while waiting in line at the grocery store or at the dentist?

There are so many fabulous bookish boarding schools to choose from: Wexford Academy, Devon School, Hecate Hall, Culver Creek, School of America in Paris, Spense Academy, St. Vladimir's...*

And I'm very tempted by The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women.

But, I think I'd like to go to Alabaster Preparatory Academy
from The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks. Mostly because I'd like my high school self to be best friends with Frankie and do pranks with purpose and come up with new words. It's a very flawed school, in fact, Frankie spends much of the novel trying to change it, which is part of why I admire her so much. She is one of my all-time favorite heroines and the book is brilliant.

I do, however, want to reserve the right to apply for a semester abroad at Hogwarts.

*Bonus points if you can name all the books where these schools appear.
- Tiffany Schmidt, debut author of "Send Me a Sign" (2012, Walker - Bloomsbury)





While I don't think of HEX HALL by Rachel Hawkins a boarding school story, it is a story that happens to take place in a boarding school -- and oh how I love it. I originally picked it up because of recommendations from EVERYONE, then devoured it within hours. I couldn't get enough of it. Right away I wanted the sequel, picked it up release week along with everyone else, and now I'm ACHING for the final book. Is it March yet?
- Jodi Meadows, debut author of Incarnate (2012, Harper Collins Children's)




What do you get when you mix Xavier’s School for the Gifted with Basque mythology? You get the recipe for an awesome debut YA read, that’s what! Descendants by Rebecca Lynn is like nothing you have read. One part Atlantis myth, mixed with one part bloodthirsty vampires, and sprinkled with a steamy romance makes this novel fabulous! Not the sappy paranormal romance type? Don’t worry. There are plenty of diabolical villains in this book that could make your skin crawl and your stomach turn. Seriously. The head villain in charge makes Mommy Dearest look like Mother Theresa. Wondering where the boarding school element enters the scene? Well, the MC has to seek refuge at a boarding school (think college campus for the X-men quality). While there, there is plenty of subterfuge, romance, and one <insert adjective not suitable for younger readers here> of a surprise ending.  If you haven’t read this one, you owe it to yourself to do so as quickly as possible. Make it a New Year’s resolution!


This is a very hard question for me. I've read so many different books that take place in a boarding school, that I actually cannot choose which one is my favorite. I am just going to go with the ones that stick out to me right now. The first I would have to say Haven by Kristi Cook. I love this book! I loved how the main character is just pulled to this school and it's not something her parents make her do. Once she is there she quickly finds out why she felt just a strong need to attend Haven. Haven is a really good story with lots of mystery and action. It has a nice romance that is paced really good and lots of twist. The next one would be Claudia Gray's Evernight series. I love, love, love this series! From book one to the very last one! It takes place in a school that is full of Vampires and lots of other crazy night creatures. You have to read in order to find out lol. Finally, another great one that is sticking out in my head lol is, Vampire Academy. I think we've all read and loved Vampire Academy, so there really isn't much I can say except that it's one heck of series! Love it!




So do you agree with the bloggers and authors above?  What would you pick?  We would love to hear your comments below!

Check back next week to see if Harry Potter rules the MAGIC world!




Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time