The Realms Thereunder

The Realms Thereunder
By Ross Lawhead
Published by Thomas Nelson
Published on September 8, 2011







Summary taken from Goodreads:

Uncover a land that has been hidden for over a thousand years.
Beneath the land of Britain, a great army is sleeping. On a visit to an old church, Daniel Tully and Freya Reynolds awaken two ancient knights from a centuries-old slumber. They are kidnapped and taken to an underground city that stands in peril, besieged in all directions by a vicious warhost. Nidergeard is the only thing protecting the upper world's blissful ignorance of mythical forces that have been held at bay since the creation of the world. In order to return home, Daniel and Freya must strike at the heart of the opposer's power.
Fast forward eight years. Daniel, now homeless, still wages what he believes to be a righteous war against those he judges to be evil. Freya has tried to put the past behind her and concentrate on getting an education, a job, and a life. When they reconnect in Oxford, unseen forces begin to ally against them. Daniel is pulled through a portal and into another world. Freya is abducted by someone-some thing-posing as her professor and drugged to keep her in a delusional state. After they finally break free, neither can deny the truth . . . they must return to Nidergeard and resume the battle.
With a thrilling narrative that draws heavily upon British mythology, The Realms Thereunder will quickly establish Ross Lawhead as a major new voice in fantasy.





I really wanted to like this book- I really did.  I love fantasy and urban fantasy typically.  I just couldn't get into this book and I couldn't finish it.  I feel terrible about it, but it really just wasn't my kind of book.  It reads like a mystery novel (a genre I dislike) and didn't feel like a fantasy novel as much as a fantasy suspense novel.
I wasn't a fan of the "chapters within a chapter".  I felt like they were unnecessary and confusing for the reader.  I think that fans of suspense books, shows like supernatural, or other urban fantasy novels should give this a try- just because I didn't like it doesn't mean that you won't.  (And there are plenty positive reviews out there).

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time