Growing Up Amish



Growing Up Amish
By Ira Wagner
Published by:  Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (June 28, 2011)


Summary from Amazon.com


One fateful starless night, 17-year-old Ira Wagler got up at 2 AM, left a scribbled note under his pillow, packed all of his earthly belongings into in a little black duffel bag, and walked away from his home in the Amish settlement of Bloomfield, Iowa. Now, in this heartwarming memoir, Ira paints a vivid portrait of Amish life—from his childhood days on the family farm, his Rumspringa rite of passage at age 16, to his ultimate decision to leave the Amish Church for good at age 26. 




I have been reading a lot of Christian fiction that deals with Amish communities.  I was very curious about this book- mainly because I have become a little obsessed with the Amish population, especially in PA.  It was a good book- I am not really sure how you could call and autobiography anything but good.  The author is a talented writer- and I found myself surprised at how much I learned about the Amish people.  I do wish, though, that he would have included more about what happened to him after he left the Amish community for good- I didn't get much closure.  Absolutely pick up this book- it was a great change of pace!

Popular posts from this blog

Damaged Goods (Blank Slate #2) by Jennifer Bardsley ~ Release Day Celebration & Giveaway...

The Child Finder

Aru Shah and the End of Time